Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Special Interest (Kids, Naptime, and Serger) classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and Class policies apply to all Special Interest Classes. Please familiarize yourself with them. Please refer to each class below for a list of supplies.
Prerequisites for Kids Classes:
- We keep our kids classes small. This ensures that each child gets all
the help and attention they need. Please make sure that your child
understands that this is a class that will require their attention and
maturity. We will be using tools that can hurt ourselves and our friends
if we aren't careful.
- Be a kid! (8-12 years of age)
- No sewing experience required for the Kids Can Sew classes. For the Kids Can Sew 2.0 classes, kids should have taken several classes with us already, or be confident and proficient with threading a sewing machine, sewing in a straight line, and cutting fabric.
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric is washed prior to the course date.
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 5 students.
Prerequisites for Naptime Classes:
- basic sewing machine experience
- Non-mobile babies are welcome to attend with their parent.
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric be wash prior to the class date.
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 5.
Prerequisites for Serger Classes:
- Sewing Machine Basics or equivalent
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 4.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes. Please note that we reserve the right to postpone and reschedule a class because of unforeseen circumstances. We will make every effort to contact our students to inform them that a class has been cancelled and arrange makeup classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Special Interest (Kids, Naptime, and Serger) Classes - January, February, March, April
Introduction to Punch Needle Embroidery with Arounna Khounnoraj of BOOKHOU
Fabrications Ottawa is pleased to welcome Arounna of bookhou for a very special workshop. Join Arounna in creating your own design using the Oxford punch needle, you will learn the basic fundamentals of this fun and addictive technique. This traditional technique of rug hooking is fun and a quick way to create an image that can be used for wall hangings, pillows and rugs.
In this workshop you will create a beautiful art wall hanging.
Included with purchase of workshop each student will receive a kit that consists of the oxford punch needle, frame pre-stretched with monks cloth and a selection of yarn. No experience is required. Workshop limited to those over the age of 18.
Parent and Me Quilt
Join us for our very first Parent + Kid class!!
This class is designed as a true beginner class. Learn the basics of using a sewing machine by sewing a simple quilt. This bindingless quilt is a perfect beginner piece that can be used and loved for a very long time. Kids 7+ can join their parent in this fun and creative 3 part class.
In this class you’ll learn how to square up fabric and organize your pieces into a quilt top. You’ll focus on seam allowances, straight sewing, pivoting and top stitching.
- six fat quarters in coordinating colours
- 1.5m of flannel for backing (44inches wide)
- 1 crib size package of quilt batting (40 by 60 inches)
- coordinating thread for quilting
Please note that each Parent + Kid couple will work on 1 quilt together and share 1 sewing machine together.
These grow-with-me pants are super cute and fit even the biggest of diaper bums! Sizes from newborn all the way to 5t. Learn the basics of using PDF pattern, how to sew with knit fabrics, and how to sew in a curve. Maxaloones are a fabulously unisex, remake-able, and versatile pattern. In the smaller sizes, they use hardly any fabric at all and are a great scrap buster.
This class is part of our Naptime Series. This series of classes is aimed at the creative parent or grandparent who is available during the week day. We've kept this class short, using two 90 minute sessions to make up the normal 3 hour class to accommodate fussy babies. This will allow parents to take the class 'while baby naps'. Non-mobile babies are welcome to attend with their parent.
- 1/2metre of cotton lycra or similar knit fabric with at least 5% spandex for the legs. We have lots of appropriate fabric in stock
- 1/2metre of cotton lycra or similar knit fabric with at least 5% spandex for the bands and bum circle. We have lots of appropriate fabric in stoc
- matching thread
Serger Basics 1
Do you have a love hate relationship with your serger? Are you too afraid to use it? Maybe you just can’t figure out how to get started.
Do you want to rent the store serger to use outside of class hours?
If so, our beginner serger class will teach you the basics of serger use including the following techniques:
- Threading the machine.
- The purpose of 3 or 4 threads and how to convert to a rolled hem.
- How to sew inside and outside curves.
- How to make gathers with the differential feed.
- How to finish a hem and make a neck binding (time permitting)
- How to use the Coverstitch machine (time permitting)
**The studio has two sergers available for students, and this class is required for renting the serger by the hour in store.**
****If you want to use one of our sergers during the class, please select the appropriate ticket when checking out. We CAN NOT and DO NOT guarantee that we will have one available for use during class if you do not select the 'Borrow our Serger' ticket.*****
The class fee includes a Sewing Club card which entitles the holder to 10 prepaid hours in our sewing studio (a $65 dollar value). At the end of the class, students will be given a 'Serger Certified' card that entitles them to use the store sergers during studio rental time.
- Serger and instruction manual
- 4 different coloured spools of thread
- Fabric for practicing
Naptime: Wiksten Haori Jacket
This is the long-awaited Haori Jacket that made such a sensation when it was published in Making Magazine #4/Lines in 2017! It's now available as a pattern.
With large pockets and a fold-over collar, this oversized jacket is functional, comfortable, and stylish. Fully lined and reversible (but with pocket on only one side), it looks more complicated to make than it actually is. The design includes three different lengths to choose from-- short (hip length), mid (below-hip length), and long (thigh length).
- Main fabric: between 1.75 metres and 2.75 metres (depending on size and jacket length chosen) of medium weight woven fabric with good drape, such as textured cotton, chambray, linen, soft denim, cotton/linen blend, twill, and wool.
- Lining fabric: between 2.25 metres and 3 metres (depending on size and jacket length chosen) of light to medium weight woven fabric with good drape, such as textured cotton, chambray, linen, cotton/linen blend, and silk.
- 2.5 metres flexible, lightweight fusible interfacing
Naptime: Skullcap Hat for Infants
Join us in this super quick super duper cute intro to sewing knits for kids.
This is the perfect little hat to keep little babies snug as a bug and to layer under oversized buntings! The Helmet Hat by Brindle and Twig is the perfect addition to any layette! You can purchase a copy of the pattern here.
This class focuses on the different techniques used in sewing with knits and and tips and tricks for a successful project!
- 0.25m of medium weight knit fabric with at least 25% stretch in all directions, such as cotton jersey, french terry, or sweatshirt fleece
- 0.25m of contrasting medium weight knit fabric with at least 25% stretch in all directions, such as cotton jersey, french terry, or sweatshirt fleece for the straps and trim
- matching thread if desired.
Kids Can Sew Hat and Neckwarmer
Join us in this great beginner kids class and try your hand at sewing!
Make your own cozy neck warmer and slouchy hat. Perfect layering piece to help get you through the rest of winter and great into the cool mornings of spring.
This quick fun project based class focuses on learning how to use a sewing machine. Sewing knit (stretchy) materials, sewing straight and curved lines and some hand sewing.
- 0.75m of cotton lycra jersey fabric with at least 25% stretch in all directions
- matching thread if desired
Kids Can Sew 2.0 Doll Panel
We are excited to introduce level 2 sewing classes for kids that have either completed the Kids Garment School Class or have taken at least 3 previous Kids Sewing Classes. Come on out and test your skills!!
Join us for this fun sewing project!! These printed doll panels are a great project to test your accuracy and practice some of your hand sewing skills.
Choose from 4 different dolls when you arrive in class. Supplies included!
Kids Can Sew Pet Bandana
THE fashion accessory for all of the most fabulous doggies in your life. Make one to match each of YOUR outfits!! This easy beginner class will teach you the basics of operating a sewing machine, sewing in a straight line, pivoting corners, and turning items right side out. We'll have time in the this class to make two bandanas, so pick out a couple fun fabrics!!
- two fat quarters of quilting cotton in a variety of colours and prints.
- matching thread if desired
Kids Can Sew 2.0 Raglan Tee Shirt or Dress
Learn how to sew with knit fabrics, and start on your journey of making your own clothing. This pattern is a great basic shirt for all sorts of kids and can easily be lengthened into a tunic or dress.
Pattern is included with class registration.
- 1.5m-2m of cotton lycra jersey with at least 25% stretch in all directions
- matching thread if desired
Kids Can Sew Reading Pillow
A fun project for kids who’d like to try their hand at sewing!
Join us in learning how to make an envelope style pillow cover with an added pocket to stow away for favorite novel!!
This oversized pillow is a great addition to any reading corner, cuddle up, open your book and slip into a tale!
This is a true beginner class and perfect for kids who have never sewn before. Focus will be spent on learning to thread the machine, sewing straight lines and understanding how to piece the project together.
- one 20"x20" pillow form
- 0.75m of medium weight woven fabric such as quilting cotton
- one fat quarter of coordinating medium weight fabric such as quilting cotton for the accent pocket
- matching thread if desired