Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Intermediate classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and class policies apply to all Intermediate Classes. Please familiarize yourself with them. Please refer to each class below for a list of supplies.
- Intermediate Sewing or Advanced Beginner plus several completed garments
- Experience successfully completing several sewing projects. This class will not cover basic sewing machine operation such as threading a needle, switching needles, how to adjust stitch length, locking stitches, reverse stitching, pivoting corners, winding bobbins etc. Students should be capable of performing these procedures without assistance.
- It is recommended that you wash and hang to dry all fabric prior to the first class.
- Minimum registration for this class is 3 students. Maximum is 6 students.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Intermediate Classes - November, December, & January 2018
Wiksten Kimono Jacket - October 24/November 7
This is the long-awaited Kimono Jacket that made such a sensation when it was published in Making Magazine #4/Lines in 2017! It's now available as a pattern.
With large pockets and a fold-over collar, this oversized jacket is functional, comfortable, and stylish. Fully lined and reversible (but with pocket on only one side), it looks more complicated to make than it actually is. The design includes three different lengths to choose from-- short (hip length), mid (below-hip length), and long (thigh length).
- Main fabric: between 1.75 metres and 2.75 metres (depending on size and jacket length chosen) of medium weight woven fabric with good drape, such as textured cotton, chambray, linen, soft denim, cotton/linen blend, twill, and wool.
- Lining fabric: between 2.25 metres and 3 metres (depending on size and jacket length chosen) of light to medium weight woven fabric with good drape, such as textured cotton, chambray, linen, cotton/linen blend, and silk.
- 2.5 metres flexible, lightweight fusible interfacing
Elliot Tee or Sweater
Join Johanna and learn how to make this comfy and flattering sweater. Choose a lightweight sweater knit or cotton or bamboo jersey for a lighter shirt, or a French Terry or wool for a cozy sweater!
Develop your sewing knits skills, and learn about making a neat and tidy split hem.
The Elliot Sweater is a PDF pattern from Helen's Closet Patterns. Please purchase your copy of the PDF here. We will supply you with large scale print outs for the class.
- proof of purchase of PDF pattern
- 1-2metres depending on size and style of sweater knits with at least 20% stretch widthwise and 10% stretch lengthwise. Views A and B work best in a medium to heavy weight sweater knit, rib knit, or french terry. View C works best in a light to medium weight jersey.
- coordinating thread as desired
Capsule Wardrobe Series: A Simple Jacket - January 9/16/23
A capsule wardrobe contains a few essential and flexible items: a jacket or two; a two or three skirts and pants; a dress; some simple tops, all items that can be paired together in a variety of ways, supplemented with seasonal pieces to create a personal look, make it easier to get dressed in the morning, and save closet space, time and money.
The Capsule Wardrobe Series will help you get a start on building your own capsule wardrobe. Take one class or take them all!
The Tessuti Berlin Jacket is a collarless, long line jacket featuring patch pockets, extended dropped shoulders and full-length sleeves with a turned back cuff. Effortlessly stylish, this jacket is the ideal winter wardrobe staple and perfect for layering over dresses or any casual outfit.
Please purchase the PDF pattern here. We will provide you with a large scale print out for class.
In this class, you will learn to read a pattern, select your correct size and how to sew overlapped seams.
- proof of purchase of PDF pattern
- 1.5m to 2.25m of boiled wool knits, ponte de roma knits, boiled felted wools, faux shearling, neoprene, or scuba fabrics, or other fabrics that do not fray when cut.
- coordinating thread