Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Intermediate classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and class policies apply to all Intermediate Classes. Please familiarize yourself with them. Please refer to each class below for a list of supplies.
- Intermediate Sewing or Advanced Beginner plus several completed garments
- Experience successfully completing several sewing projects. This class will not cover basic sewing machine operation such as threading a needle, switching needles, how to adjust stitch length, locking stitches, reverse stitching, pivoting corners, winding bobbins etc. Students should be capable of performing these procedures without assistance.
- It is recommended that you wash and hang to dry all fabric prior to the first class.
- Minimum registration for this class is 3 students. Maximum is 6 students.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Intermediate Classes - September & October 2018
Wiksten Kimono Jacket
This is the long-awaited Kimono Jacket that made such a sensation when it was published in Making Magazine #4/Lines in 2017! It's now available as a pattern.
With large pockets and a fold-over collar, this oversized jacket is functional, comfortable, and stylish. Fully lined and reversible (but with pocket on only one side), it looks more complicated to make than it actually is. The design includes three different lengths to choose from-- short (hip length), mid (below-hip length), and long (thigh length).
- Main fabric: between 1.75 metres and 2.75 metres (depending on size and jacket length chosen) of medium weight woven fabric with good drape, such as textured cotton, chambray, linen, soft denim, cotton/linen blend, twill, and wool.
- Lining fabric: between 2.25 metres and 3 metres (depending on size and jacket length chosen) of light to medium weight woven fabric with good drape, such as textured cotton, chambray, linen, cotton/linen blend, and silk.
- 2.5 metres flexible, lightweight fusible interfacing
At the time of writing this class description, the Farrow Dress is currently only available as a PDF (it's out of stock in paper) . Please purchase your copy of the pattern here and bring proof of purchase with you to the first class. We will provide you with a large scale print out.
- 2.75 metres to 3.75 metres, depending on size and width of fabric of light to medium weight fabrics ranging from linen, linen blends, cotton, lightweight wool and wool blends, silk charmeuse, and silk twill. Extra fabric may be needed to match plaids, stripes, or one-way design prints. Please note: for size 12 and above, 54" wide fabric must be used.
- Coordinating thread, and
- Hook & eye
Take home pattern is included in class fee.
- 0.75 meters of exterior fabric (recommended fabric: cotton, canvas, waxed canvas or denim)
- 0.5 meters of contrast fabric (recommended fabric: cotton, canvas, waxed canvas or denim)
- 1.5 meters of lining fabric (recommended fabric: cotton or canvas)
- 3.5 meters fusible woven interfacing (Pellon SF101)
- 1 meter medium to heavy weight interfacing
- (1) 8” zipper
- (2) 1” wide d-rings
- (2) 1.5” wide rectangle rings
- (2) 1.5” wide strap sliders
- matching or contrasting thread as desired
- if desired, 9” length of 1” wide cotton webbing or leather (for the hang loop)