Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Special Interest (Kids, Naptime, and Serger) classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and Class policies apply to all Special Interest Classes. Please familiarize yourself with them. Please refer to each class below for a list of supplies.
Prerequisites for Kids Classes:
- We keep our kids classes small. This ensures that each child gets all
the help and attention they need. Please make sure that your child
understands that this is a class that will require their attention and
maturity. We will be using tools that can hurt ourselves and our friends
if we aren't careful.
- Be a kid! (8-12 years of age)
- No Sewing Experience Required!
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric is washed prior to the course date.
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 5 students.
Prerequisites for Naptime Classes:
- basic sewing machine experience
- Non-mobile babies are welcome to attend with their parent.
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric be wash prior to the class date.
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 5.
Prerequisites for Serger Classes:
- Sewing Machine Basics or equivalent
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 4.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Special Interest (Kids, Naptime, and Serger) Classes - September & October 2018
Serger Basics 1
Do you have a love hate relationship with your serger? Are you too afraid to use it? Maybe you just can’t figure out how to get started.
Do you want to rent the store serger to use outside of class hours?
If so, our beginner serger class will teach you the basics of serger use including the following techniques:
- Threading the machine.
- The purpose of 3 or 4 threads and how to convert to a rolled hem.
- How to sew inside and outside curves.
- How to make gathers with the differential feed.
- How to finish a hem and make a neck binding (time permitting)
- How to use the Coverstitch machine (time permitting)
**The studio has two sergers available for students, and this class is required for renting the serger by the hour in store.**
****If you want to use one of our sergers during the class, let us know and we'll reserve it for you. We CAN NOT and DO NOT guarantee that we will have one available for use during class if you do not contact us to reserve one*****
The class fee includes a Sewing Club card which entitles the holder to 10 prepaid hours in our sewing studio (a $65 dollar value). At the end of the class, students will be given a 'Serger Certified' card that entitles them to use the store sergers during studio rental time.
- Serger and instruction manual
- 4 different coloured spools of thread
- Fabric for practicing
Garment Making School for Girls
A modern curriculum to introduce kids ages 10-16 to the basics of operating a sewing machine and sewing their own garments.
Using 'Ms. Figgy's Garment School for Girls' as our textbook, this 8-session course will take a more curriculum based approached to sewing than we use in our traditional single session kids classes.
This longer, more in-depth course will allow us to focus on hand stitching, machine use and the principals of sewing and garment making. This course is designed for youth who want to learn the necessary skills to create independently outside of a classroom setting.
The textbook is included in your class registration fee. Fabric and other supplies are not.
Supplies for the first 4 projects:
- 1 skein of embroidery thread
- set of hand sewing needles
- roll of Swedish tracing paper
- 2 metres of medium weight cotton woven fabric such as quilting cotton
- coordinating thread
- 1 metres of ¾” no roll elastic
- 2 coordinating fat quarters
- 9” zipper
- 0.75 metres of medium to heavy iron on interfacing
- 2 metres of mid weight knit 4 way stretch with at least 5% lycra/spandex, such as jersey
The supplies above will be used in the first 2-4 weeks to learn about different stitches, drafting a simple A line skirt, sewing a unique asymmetrical clutch, and sewing a dolman top.
Further supplies will be needed to create pants, a woven tank top, and possibly more; supplies will be discussed and a list will be provided well in advance to unsure you have time to purchase and prewash fabrics.
Students should bring a small journal/workbook and a pencil case to each class so they can takes notes, jot down ideas, and sketch out plans!! Students must also bring their textbook and ALL supplies and in-progress projects to class as more than one project may be worked on in any given week.
- students must be between 10-16 years of age
- students must be prepared to participate fully and with respect for their colleagues
- students must understand that some tools can cause injury to themselves and others and must therefore be used with caution
- no sewing experience is necessary, although some previous sewing experience would be beneficial
- all fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric is pre-washed before the start of class.
- minimum registration for this class is 4 students. Maximum is 6.
Kids Can Sew: Pillowcases
Creative kids? Let them be creative with us and learn a new and valuable skill at the same time. Students will get to sew a pillowcase that they can use on their own beds or take with them to sleepovers. A functional and fun project that they can be creative in designing. Use just one fabric for the pillowcase or two co-ordinating prints to make it interesting. This is a great way for kids to learn to sewing skills while spending a few hours having fun!
- 1 meter of fabric suitable for pillowcases (100% cotton or cotton/linen blend)
- .25 meter of coordinating fabric (not a fat quarter)
Kids Can Sew: Scrunchies!
Do you know what a scrunchie is? I bet your mom knows! A scrunchie is a super soft, colourful, and super fun way to put your hair up in a pony tail! In this class you'll about using a sewing machine, sewing 3 different kinds of fabric, and how to turn something right-side out!