Here you will find a list and description of all of our current Special Interest (Kids, Naptime, and Serger) classes. Scroll down to see all the options and when you see the one you want to take follow the Book Now link to be taken to our Booking site to reserve your spot.
The following prerequisites and Class polices apply to all Special Interest Classes. Please familiar yourself with them. Please refer to each Class below for a list of Supplies.
Prerequisites for Kids Classes:
- We keep our kids classes small. This ensures that each child gets all
the help and attention they need. Please make sure that your child
understands that this is a class that will require their attention and
maturity. We will be using tools that can hurt ourselves and our friends
if we aren't careful.
- Be a kid! (8-12 years of age)
- No Sewing Experience Required!
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric is washed prior to the course date.
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 5 students.
Prerequisites for Naptime Classes:
- basic sewing machine experience
- Non-mobile babies are welcome to attend with their parent.
- All fabric and supplies can be purchased in store or provided by yourself. It is recommended that all fabric be wash prior to the class date.
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 5.
Prerequisites for Serger Classes:
- Sewing Machine Basics or equivalent
- Minimum registration is 3 students. Maximum is 4.
Space in our classes is limited, therefore in order to reserve your seat, a 100% non-refundable deposit is required. You may register for a class in person, online, or over the phone (613-854-9091) with a credit card.
There are no refunds for classes.
Please refer to our Class Policies for more information before scheduling a class.
Special Interest (Kids, Naptime, and Serger) Classes - June, July, & August 2018
Weekend Open Sewing Studio
Join us this weekend for an Open Sewing Studio! Bring your project(s) and come sew along with us!
Our sewing studios are independent, unsupervised project time, and an opportunity to use our machines, cutting table and supplies. Please check our studio use policies for more information.
We suggest you call ahead to 613-854-9091 to make sure that a machine is available.
Kids Can Sew: Pillowcases
Creative kids? Let them be creative with us and learn a new and valuable skill at the same time. Students will get to sew a pillowcase that they can use on their own beds or take with them to sleepovers. A functional and fun project that they can be creative in designing. Use just one fabric for the pillowcase or two co-ordinating prints to make it interesting. This is a great way for kids to learn to sewing skills while spending a few hours having fun!
- 1 meter of fabric suitable for pillowcases (100% cotton or cotton/linen blend)
- .25 meter of coordinating fabric (not a fat quarter)
Kids Can Sew: Gathered Skirt
Learn some basic techniques that will broaden your skills and help you become a confident sewist. These skills are easily transferable to many other projects. This easy tutorial class involves simple measurements, learning how to calculate extra length to add a casing for an elastic waist and using an iron to press in hem seams for easy sewing. This class is a great beginners class and is also a great next step if your child has already taken the kids apron class or pillowcase case.
- 2 X your child's hip measurement in a light to mid weight woven fabric such as quilting cotton
- 1 meter of 1.5 inch elastic
- Matching thread as desired
Naptime: Wiksten Smock Top or Dress
Super cute, super functional, and quick to sew! The perfect combination to sew for your kids ages 6months to 6 years!
In this 3 session Naptime Class you'll learn about sewing with woven fabrics, bindings, gathers, and finishing seams.
- 1-2m of light to medium weight woven fabrics such as linen, voile, chambray, lawn, double gauze, or quilting cotton depending on size and variation
- 0.5m of 1/4inch elastic if making the long sleeve version
- coordinating thread
Serger Basics 1
Do you have a love hate relationship with your serger? Are you too afraid to use it? Maybe you just can’t figure out how to get started. Do you want to rent the store serger to use outside of class hours?
If so, our beginner serger class will teach you the basics of serger use including the following techniques:
Threading the machine.
The purpose of 3 or 4 threads and how to convert to a rolled hem.
How to sew inside and outside curves.
How to make gathers with the differential feed.
How to finish a hem and make a neck binding (time permitting)
How to use the Coverstitch machine (time permitting)
The studio has two sergers available for students, and this class is required for renting the serger by the hour in store. If you want to use one of our sergers during the class, let us know and we'll reserve it for you.
The class fee includes a Sewing Club card which entitles the holder to 10 prepaid hours in our sewing studio (a $65 dollar value). At the end of the class, students will be given a 'Serger Certified' card that entitles them to use the store sergers during studio rental time.
- Serger and instruction manual
- 4 different coloured spools of thread
- Fabric for practicing